Monday 27 August 2012

Masks, not just for masking.

Hi it's Tracy here, most of you will only know me as the 'cardmaker' of the team, but I scrapbooked way before I started making cards, so I have gone back to my papercrafting roots and make a couple of layouts to share with you.
For my post this month I decided to highlight other ways to use the Hexagon Mister Huey's mask, other than just using it as a mask for mists.

This first page features my son on his school prom night, when he got home he couldn't stop talking about it and said he'd had the best night of his life.


I started by using the mask as a stencil and drawing around the inside of each hexagon with a white gel pen, I then gave the page a little spritz of Mister Huey's mist in Calico White, before drawing and cutting out a few hexagons from some Studio Calico - Heyday papers, and adhering them with 3D foam pads to some of the drawn on hexagons.


This next page is all the men in top hats and tails messing about on the beach, and balancing on the groynes at my Nieces wedding earlier this year.


This time I  used the mask as a stamp. First I covered it in black paint, but found this to be too harsh as I really wanted a more subtle effect on this page.


 So for my next experiment I applied black ink all over the back of the mask, placed it on my page and rolled over it with an ink brayer, (you could also use a wallpapering edge roller), this left the desired effect. Leaving the mask in place, I inked softly around the edge, and stamped a grid effect image into some of the hexagons. I then cut out some of the middles of the hexagons with a craft knife and attached some of the wood effect paper to the underside to show through the holes.


The final way I used the mask was to run it through my Cuttlebug using a sandwich of, A plate, tan mat, card, mask, 2 B plates and a few shims of card,  which gave a nice embossed image, which I then made into this simple card. (I couldn't resist making just one card).



 I hope I have inspired you to use your masks in different ways.




9 comments:

Jayne Wilby said...

Wow Tracy, what clever ideas, Lovely to see you scrapbooking again ;) Hope you are ok, must catch up soon xx

Eileen said...

I love all of these ways of using the mask, and am feeling inspired - and a card to get me started too!

Ifa said...

Gorgeousness. I didn't realise the mask could give such a good embossed relief...thank you for that, I will give it a go.

Jenga said...

Gorgeous results Tracy :)

Amanda said...

Love all these ideas. I have a harlequin mask that I don't use enough.

Candace said...

Wow! I am in awe.

I feel a purchase coming on.....

Helsbells said...

Now I need a machine to make the embossed look! Really effective idea :D Great to see you scrapping and hope it's a regular thing x

Nat said...

Great ideas! Love the way you cut away some of the hexagons to leave the negative shape xxx

Louise said...

WOW!!! Tracy these are amazing, I love both the LOs and the card is stunning too. Great ideas for using the mask... cheers m'dears x