Saturday 26 May 2012

Curiosity got the better of me (again!)

Have you ever looked at the thumbnail of a product but not really been sure what is in the packet? I have... and when it happens to me I do one of two things:
1.)           Do not buy it – I can’t see what it is so I don’t want it.
2.)          BUY IT – simply because I’m curious.
As I was ordering some Cosmo Cricket 2wenty Thr3e papers I saw this element deck:
The picture is simply of the cover of the pack -the manufacturer hasn’t given much away with that picture have they? So, on this occasion, curiosity got the better of me and the element deck found its way into my basket. When they arrived I was rather happy they had as they are very cute. I have used them in different ways on 3 layouts to share with you today.
Two of the element cards were just perfect for this photo of my best friends and me on my birthday. We were stopped by the in-house photographer on the way into a club for a quick photo. The “Say Cheese” page and the page covered with the image of a camera were perfect. I used a couple of the Stacked Stickers to add dimension and also cut a couple of the word blocks from the Photo Booth paper. I added some old eyelets to these to thread the bakers twine through and then journalled along the curves of the twine.
I am loving creating pages for my little niece and the pinks in this range cried out to be used on one of her pages. This adorable photo is little Ro with her Grandad (my dad). Although it only appears to have one of the Element Deck pages on it I actually used three of them. I used the “Things I Love” page to create the title, adding some Bella Blvd Sophisticates High Five Alphabets to it. I then cut a 2” circle from a pink Element page and hand cut the pointing finger from another. I layered them up under the title and added a bow of Bakers Twine. I didn’t see the need for journaling on this page – the title says it all for me.  




My third page is not pink and girly at all. I have to admit I bought this range with this photo in mind because of the “Paperback” sheet. My eldest was a reluctant reader until he discovered the “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” series. This page documents his new hobby and how like me he is becoming as I was a book worm at his age. I used a page from the Element Deck that had numbers 1-5 on it, then highlighted the 1 by covering it with a Stacked Sticker with a 1 in the centre (because he was reading Book 1.) The “Hello” from the title is also a page from the Element Deck tucked behind the photo. I added a couple of stickers from the sticker sheet from the 2wenty Thr3e range along with some Bella Blvd Sophisticates High Five Alphabets and my favourite Bakers Twine again.

After these three pages I still have all of these Elements left to use:


I especially love the “LOVE” page and will be using it asap.
Have you bought one of these Element Decks yet? If so please do share with us how you have used them. And if not – why not? Go grab yourself one now!
Hope you are all enjoying the weather! Happy creating xxx

7 comments:

Tracie said...

I need these!! Just love what you've done with them Jen! x

Helen said...

Especially like the twine and eyelet work. Bring back eyelets! Lovely stuff :D

Ifa said...

aaah, so that's what in them. Thanks for sharing your gorgeous pages.

Julie Kirk said...

I think it was a great idea for a DT post - so often there are packs of things which those thumbnails don't do justice.

I'd actually already bought this same Element Deck when I saw this post [I was just hoping they'd be useful!] and they were - I love them! It's crazy they don't put a photo of the full contents on the pack [or even their website] somewhere. The designs inside are great.

I just blogged a card I made using one here: http://notesonpaper.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/anniversary-card-love-you.html

Julie :-)

Jenga said...

Thanks for you comment Julie :-) I will pop over to look at your card x

Vanessa said...

Fab stuff Jen - love what you've done with the element deck and the eylets. :) x

Nat said...

Love how you've used the elements Jen, especially cutting/punching bits out and layering them together! Totally agree that sometimes the manufacturers images leave a lot to the imagination - glad you showed us what was inside!! xxx