Thursday 26 April 2012

One Month Later

 A whole month has gone by since our fabulous retreat. Have you used any of the techniques we demonstrated over the weekend?
I combined techniques from Helen’s class and Jen N’s class on this page. I made the chevron pattern in exactly the same way as we did in Helen’s class, I just made it larger. For those of you who didn’t come along, here is a run through of how Helen taught us to make the chevrons:
First cut a strip of patterned paper about an inch wide. Then cut that strip into 4 sections that are the same size – mine are 2.5 inches. To make the chevron lay two pieces on top of each other in an L shape and cut diagonally from point to point (a mitre cut). Then lay two more of your strips in L shapes starting from the other end of your original L (I hope the photos make this clear as it is hard to explain!) Again mitre cut these pieces. I have made little pencil marks in the photos to show where to cut. Once you have made those cuts you can position the pieces to make the chevron pattern. You also have several cute little triangles to use as embellishments on your LO.




I covered a 6”x8” piece of kraft in a chevron pattern then used the tiny triangles along the top and bottom of my page. I then pierced tiny holes all around the edge of my page as seen in Jen N’s retreat class.
On all of the 3 LO’s I’m sharing today I have used the new American Crafts DIY Thickers, covering them in a different way each time. On this page I covered them with the new AC WOW! Glitter in silver.


 On my second LO I used techniques taken straight from Lou’s retreat class. I made a border for my photo and title by gluing Bakers Twine straight onto the page using Tombo glue. I used several border punches to create the layered effect across the top and bottom of the page. The little circle embellishments Lou demonstrated are so easy yet so effective. Punch a 1.5” circle from patterned paper. Then cut a 1”x1” square from a coordinating paper and glue it in the centre of the circle. Next simply fold the bits of the circle that you can still see inwards.

On this LO I covered the DIY Thickers with patterned paper. I rolled repositionable herma on top of the covering paper then stuck that, top down, onto the reverse of my paper. I cut around the letter shape then carefully peeled off and discarded the cover. This left me with a new cover for the Thicker in a patterned paper that coordinated with my LO. Lastly I drew around each letter in tombo glue and sprinkled a little more WOW! Glitter on there.

Finally I thought I would share one last LO that I made using the same papers. I covered the Thickers in the same way as above – some with WOW! Glitter and some with patterned paper. On the ones with patterned paper I covered them in a layer of Glossy Accents to give them a shine.
If you have used any of the techniques from the retreat please share them with us either via a comment or on our facebook page. We’d love to see them.
(P.S. Apologies if some of the images are a little blurry. My scanner seems to be on it's last legs!)

6 comments:

Nat said...

Lovely pages Jen, great techniques xxx

Diane Warburton said...

TFS - especially the chevron technique and yes, it does make sense :-)

Jill said...

Great LOs Jen. Yep have used a few of the new techniques and in my usual way changed a few!!!! Jill x

Tracie said...

Gorgeous layouts Jen, fab techniques! xx

Louise said...

Lovely LOs, great to see you using 'girly' papers too.
x

Helen said...

We need a photo of us doing team holding up of the strips to show where to cut!

Lovely stuff x