Sunday 29 April 2012

One blueprint, three layouts

The trend for patchwork on layouts is very popular right now. I am particularly drawn to my earliest patchwork pattern, the hexagon. I remember working with my grandmother, cutting out paper templates, cutting out the fabric, stitching the paper template inside the fabric...I remember, she had more patience that me!

I tried looking for a hexagon punch without luck. I reckon, the punches manufacturers are (probably) a season behind the paper people. I looked on the internet and found some printable templates instead. You can even vary the size of the hexagons...COOL ( or as will.i.am on The Voice would say, Dope! ).

I printed three sizes, 1.5", 1" and 0.75". I cut out a hexagon from each sheet to use as template.



I used the three different sizes of hexagon and drew an interesting arrangement on a white cardstock. This becomes my blueprint for 3 layouts.



Next I cut out some patterned papers into hexagons and attach them to the background cardstock. I added a photo and suitable embellishments and came up with my first layout.



I rotated the blue print for my next layout and made my second layout.

For my last layout, I wanted less colour and more texture so I used embossed hexagons and even scrap of lace. 

Here's a close up of all the texture.


I hope you will be inspired to try making your own hexagonal layouts. See you next month.

12 comments:

Jimjams said...

These are stunning pages - I love the use of different sizes of hexagons. The last page is my particular favourite.

Tracie said...

oh my goodnesss Ifa these are gorgeous!! x

Julia said...

All gorgeous,but love, love, love the embossed hexagons. They are definitely "dope!"

Kirsti said...

Wow...I love all if these..they are fab!! X

Jane said...

The hexagon layouts are amazing. My fav is the first one and am going to scraplift it straightaway. Also think 'dope' is about to become my new fav word!

K said...

I am loving hexagonal layouts & keep meaning to try one out

Katherine said...

Thank you Ifa love the pages and the hexagon tip is great, already printed some out too :D

nikki said...

Oh WOW Ifa these are great - will definitely be using this idea - thank you

vixen said...

stunning layouts and I love the last one where you have used plain white card stock with embossing folders to give dimension. defiantly feel inspired thank you for sharing :)

Lesley G said...

Fabulous, just love these pages, must give the hexagons a go

Diane Warburton said...

I was looking for inspiration on doing a layout for a challenge on the BPC class I'm doing. It includes 12 sections, so after seeing this, those sections will be hexagons. Thanks for the great layouts as inspiration. Pink Paislee's Spring Jubilee also rocks my world right now, so brilliant to just see a little bit of it on the first LO

Nat said...

Love the embossed hexagons Ifa! xx