Thursday 10 November 2011

November Challenge

It's time for a new challenge here at the Sarah's Cards blog - and an opportunity for you to win a £20 e-voucher to spend in the shop!

This month we would like you to try something that you are probably usually told to stop doing, but for November, us meanies on the Sarahs Cards team want you all to:

THINK NEGATIVE!!

This really is open to interpretation and we would leave to see what your take on that statement would be! 
To get your creative juices flowing, here's how members of the design team got on with thinking negatively!

Ifa chose to document something which really could have been a negative experience - her son injuring his arm during his first week back to school. However, they were able to turn that negative thinking around and were thankful that it was his left shoulder he fell on.
 
Gems also used the challenge to inspire the theme for her page - her beautiful little girl has been feeling negative about her height, so Gems took the opportunity to remind her that she may be short, but she is most definitely sweet, inside and out.


Helen used mists and masks to create her interpretation of negativity. Using the Studio Calico '&' mask, she firstly misted with cream and then moved the mask slightly and remisted with brown, creating a cream shadow, which she then roughly outlined with a black pen. Helen also punched out some small hearts from one of the patterned paper strips, leaving the hole, or negative shape.

Lou gave her fun Halloween layout a funky twist by turning the negative space inside her Thickers title into a pair of eyes!!

For my page I used a circle cutter to cut various sized circles in to a piece of card stock, and rather than using the circles as masks for misting I used the resulting negative piece of card stock as an overlay. I placed a misted sheet of card stock underneath, creating the effect of coloured soapy bubbles. I also used a punch to remove star shapes from some mini banner shapes cut from misted card.


Jen's beautiful page used Studio Calico masks & Maya mists to create the butterflies fluttering across the page, before embellishing the resulting negative spaces left on the page by threading twine and dotting liquid enamel around the edges.

So if you fancy the chance of making that £20 e-voucher yours - leave us a link here to your take on "Thinking Negatively" by the 30th of November! Winner will be announced on the blog on the 8th of December!
Happy creating :)
Photobucket

12 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

Great challenge and DT projects, well done girls

Jenga said...

I have my idea bubbling away!!! I'm on it......


tee hee

love the LO's girls x

MissusMege said...

Oooowww this is an interesting one! I do like a challenge...I'll have to get my thinking cap on! :)

Jenga said...

Mine is here : http://isitscrapbookingday.blogspot.com/2011/11/negative.html

Jill said...

Ooh loved that challenge, definitely set me thinking!! Here's mine

http://alifewellcrafted-jill.blogspot.com/2011/11/couple-of-things.html

Jill x

Scattychick said...

Great challenge thanks, Jenga I love love love your LO :)

here is my attempt;

http://scattychick.blogspot.com/2011/11/think-negative.html

Jenga said...

Thank You Scattychick :D I love the photo negatives on yours .

Wendy said...

here is mine!

http://wendymckee.blogspot.com/2011/11/being-negative.html

Scrapping4fun said...

Here's my layout using a sketch from www.shimelle.com and explaining the positives and negatives of my dog Lucy!!!

http://scrapping4fun.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/socute.jpg

naomi said...

Mine's here - I've been wanting to scrap this photo for a while so I'm pleased it's finally done. Sorry for the poor photo!!:D

http://flic.kr/p/aMnHSz

Emma said...

finally got mine done!!The ides was there for a while, it was the doing it that took the time!!

http://eis4effort.blogspot.com/2011/11/challenge-time.html

MissusMege said...

great challenge to get me thinking! Here's my take on it. :)

http://missusandsausage.blogspot.com/2011/11/think-negative-november-challenge.html